Pages

Sunday 23 December 2012

First Interview Experience

My Interview Experience at Wipro Technologies

My dear friends, I am a student of SRM University, pursuing graduation in B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering. As a part of the placement drive, Wipro Technologies visited our campus for recruitments. As we all know that the year 2012 has been a year of economic slowdown across European nations, I too was expecting some changes in the selection process.

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The new eligibility criteria for B.tech students is :
  • 60% in 12th and 6.0 CGPA in B.tech/MCA
  • 2 arrears permitted in current semester, all arrears in previous semester must be cleared
  • maximum gap of 2 yrs between academics
SELECTION PROCEDURE
Since I met the above mentioned criteria, I was eligible for the selection process. The selection process is as follows:
  • pre-placement talk
  • online test
  • technical and HR interviews
ONLINE TEST
The online test was conducted by AMCAT. There were four sections in the online test namely English, technical, aptitude and comprehension. Each section has a different time allotted. The multiple choice questions(MCQ) had only one correct answer. Once answer is marked and you proceed to next question, then you cannot go back to the previous question, so one must be careful and confident while answering. There is no negative marking.
The questions were from previous year papers and very simple. There were questions from work and time,age,time and distance, permutation and computation, number series, average, probability, blood relations. All you need is speed and practice! 
I cleared the aptitude exam.

TECHNICAL AND HR INTERVIEWS
Next came the interviews. Since it was my first interview, I was a bit nervous. But all the panic vanished the moment I entered the interview room. I had prepared various subjects like data structures, DBMS, OOAD, Computer Networks, Operating Systems, C, C++, Java, Unix/Linux with DBMS and OOAD as my areas of interest.
I had an exhaustive 45 minute technical interview inclusive of HR questions, technical questions and project. My interviewer was a warm and polite person. I greeted him with a smile. I was asked these HR questions:
  • Please tell me about yourself?
  • About family and hometown
  • My weaknesses and strengths
In strengths I mentioned my soft skills. Weakness is a tricky question. My answer was something like
"  I cannot say that I am weak in a particular subject. Learning is a continuous process which never stops so I cannot confidently say that I am strong in this because someone might have more knowledge than me..." blah blah blah...
He kept asking me again n again, finally, since he asked me the 4th time, all i said was communication skills need to be improved.  (haha)
He looked kinda impressed with the way I answered. Well, next he asked about my role in the project. I described my role. My project was Java-based so I was asked all about servlets, database connectivity and finally I had to draw an architecture of my project and explain it. Then I was asked what subjects I liked in the current semester. My reply was "Software Engineering" coz it is similar to OOAD. I was asked about models used and had to explain Waterfall model, which I did. Also I was asked questions from DBMS like concurrency, difference between various normal forms, cascading, foreign key. Lastly, my interviewer wanted to know if I had any questions for him, so with interest and enthusiasm, I asked him "What will I get to learn during training if I am selected?" He briefed me with the various courses offered during training. I thanked him and left. 

I was shortlisted for HR interview, there were the usual questions like introducing yourself, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

RESULT
I have been offered the job for 2013. The training period is 3 months with a stipend of Rs. 15,000 and post-training salary between 2.75 lacs - 3.25 lacs per annum.

MY SUCCESS MANTRA
Hard work, confidence and smile. It worked for me. Answer the questions in detail with calmness and confidence, surely you can get through and donot forget to go through your project, it is a MUST!!

Wish you Good Luck !!! For any queries contact me.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats for your feat. :) Nicely described.. Wish you a prosperous career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many students did Wipro take from your campus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well about 585 students cleared the aptitude and 305 were selected.

      Delete